Gaming equipment in high demand
A side effect of the pandemic is the booming of virtual worlds. 68 percent of gamers are between 16 and 29 years young, but also 66 percent of seniors aged 65 years and over pass the time with video games. This is twice as much as in 2020. These results came from a presentative survey of 1,269 people aged 16 and over in Germany commissioned by the digital association Bitkom.
Futher findings are:
- Playing time doubled during Corona from five to ten hours per week. The respondents are planning to spend an average of 8.5 hours a week gaming after the pandemic.
- 50 percent of the German population plays video or computer games at least once in a while: 47 percent women and 53 percent men. The number has risen from 46 to 50 per cent since 2020, with 2.5 million people added.
- 81 percent of gamers are 16 to 29 years old.
- 76 per cent say that they have paid for video or computer games in the last 12 months, up from 69 per cent in 2020. The money flows most frequently into in-game purchases (42 percent).
- Subscription models are becoming more popular: 58 percent of gamers pay for at least one gaming subscription in 2021, compared to 55 percent in 2020. (Ranking: subscription for individual online games, for console providers, for online platforms, for streaming platforms).
- Popular game types: casual games (80 per cent), strategy, management and building games (73 per cent), action games/ first-person shooters (64 per cent), fitness and exercise games (59 per cent), educational games (54 per cent), simulation games (37 per cent).
- As in 2020, most mobile gamers play on their smartphone (84 percent), with 30 percent of gamers aged 65 and over doing so. On the laptop/notebook 77 percent play and 56 percent with mobile or hybrid console. On the tablet, 50 percent play, in 2020 it was 62 percent. The user base of stationary devices such as game consoles (52 percent) or desktop PCs (43 percent) is not growing.
- 13 percent of all respondents wanted to buy a next-gen console, but due to the lack of chips, 60 percent of those interested have not yet been able to buy one. More than half of them is still trying.
Please find our gaming equipment at the imcopex webshop.